Radiation shielding solutions in buildings and bunkers
Walls, ceilings and floors containing MagnaDense protect very effective against ionizing radiation due to the high density of the concrete.
Radiation shielding guarantees that people can work safely in an environment where ionising radiation occurs. Whether this is in a hospital, laboratory, nuclear power plant, nuclear waste treatment location or production location, the construction of these types of building needs to meet certain specifications. LKAB Minerals can advise you in choosing an aggregate with the right density, specification, quality and consistency, which is key for effective radiation shielding.
Different radiation shielding construction solutions
There are several methods for using the high density aggregate MagnaDense to build a radiation protected room or bunker to provide the right degree of defence:
- Standard heavy concrete walls: Walls made with high density concrete which contain MagnaDense.
- “Sandwich” walls: As the name of this method indicates it involves a layer of compacted MagnaDense between 2 (mostly) pre-fabricated walls which act as a lost formwork.
- Modular concrete blocks: Radiation shielded walls are built using blocks made of heavy concrete and MagnaDense. Click here to read a detailed business case with information about this particular method.
How radiation shielding containing high density material works
Shielding reduces the intensity of radiation depending on the thickness and density of the concrete structure. With a higher density material the radiation is reduced faster.
When MagnaDense is used as a concrete aggregate, the concrete formulator can achieve densities of up to 4.0 t/m³. Standard concrete typically has a density of up to 2.4 t/m³. As a result MagnaDense concrete gives full shielding capacity but uses less space.
Advantages of MagnaDense in radiation shielding projects
We often get asked what advantages MagnaDense concrete can bring to a project. Depending on your project one or more of these benefits may apply:
- More weight, less volume; less excavation/transportation/reinforcement and time for construction
- Good radiation shielding characteristics
- Increased weight for a given volume
- Reduced risk of cracking due to the high heat retention of MagnaDense which results in a lower peak in heat of hydration
- Space saving; thinner walls
Making and handling heavy concrete
Building a radiation shielding wall is usually not an everyday job for most companies. Fortunately heavy concrete can be produced using standard construction equipment. Of course it is important to understand that the weight of MagnaDense will have an influence on the equipment used. Using your equipment effectively a high density concrete can be handled with just the same machinery as ordinary concrete.
Our radiation shielding experience and more
This website contains detailed information about some of our radiation shielding projects.
There are many more projects where MagnaDense has been utilised to great effect. We have gathered these in our radiation shielding project brochure which you can request from your local sales manager available via the expert box in the top right corner of this page.
For more detailed information on nuclear radiation shielding follow this link. If you interest is specific for healthcare radiation shielding click here.